Sunday, November 12, 2006

I have arrived

Well here I sit, in an internet cafe/restaurant/bar in Bangkok, sipping a cold Singha beer and watching the world go by. By the world I mean of course the three dinky Thai waitresses. One of the first things I noticed (after the humidity and the smell....its like walking around inside a Turk's stomach) was the preposterous levels of cute+dinkyness amongst the women. Not a muffin roll in sight (is that that thing where women wear jeans and tops that are too tight for them in an apparent attempt to look more like Jeremy Clarkson and give themselves a circular beer-gut? I'm not sure if I remembered the term correctly).
I had a bit of a shock as we were coming in to land as I realised that my guidebook which was last updated in 2005 mentioned the fact that the airport I thought I would be landing in was soon to be used just for domestic flights and the new one that I was actually landing in would soon be taking all foreign flights. This meant all the imformation I had on how to get from the airport to the Koa San Road was obsolete. Nor were there hoards of backpackers with whom to hook up with and share taxi costs so I ended up getting an official airport taxi on my own which set me back a bit in Thai money but only about eighteen pounds in British money.
Have just been wondering round since getting here trying to buy a hat and some razor blades. Because I need a shave and didnt bring any, not because I am getting suicidally homesick as I havent watched the Guns of Navarone for at least three days.
Well, think I will head off now into the warm fug of a Thai afternoon and start planning where I want to contract my first bowel-disorder..I mean, where I want to eat tonight.
See ya'.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you arrived safely: mssing you!!!!
-Tam x x x

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home