Tuesday, November 14, 2006

String!!!!!

Thats all I want! Not asking too much surely? Just some ordinary string to hang drying clothes up on? I have strolled through the tourist areas and also gone through the bog-standard market areas. Lighters, wire, plug-sockets, pipe-cleaners, motor-bike parts, radio-transmitters, you name it but no bloody string!
Actually it was a bit weird. I wondered around for hours (classic English behaviour, hottest part of the day, no hat etc. only passed out twice, got insulted by a Thai suit maker for wasting his time after going to his shop at the impossible to refuse behest of the tuk-tuk driver. Tuk-tuk's are great fun but you will always be dragged into a shop somewhere) in what must have been the motor-bike spare-parts district, then the guns and knives area, then bizarrely a street that alternated musical instrument stores with military clothing shops. Lots of shiny boots. Nice.
But no string...or hats. At least not the kind of stylish Panama number I am after. Just loads of floppy sun hats and caps. What am I, some kind of white Western back-packer? I dont think so!
On the plus side I just had my first talk-to-a-total-stanger experience. Two girls from Croydon. One of whom was missing a hand. Didnt ask if she had been travelling in Cambodia. Probably should have done.
Bye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home