Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Makes me nostalgic for southern Thailand.

Some time ago I posted a blog entry while in southern Thailand (Phuket I believe) in which I stated I had reached a low point of sorts in my trip. Well it turns out however low you go there's still more down below that!
Original plan - Get back to Bangkok, arrange a flight for the 14th or thereabouts and spend a few days of comparative luxury staying in a nicer than average guesthouse, having some drinks etc. then come home fairly well within budget.
Where reality deviated somewhat from the plan - The soonest it seems I can get a flight back to England is the 3rd of next month. I'm not likely to get a cancellation and the cost of transferring the ticket to another airline looks likely to be equal to or more than the cost of staying out here till May. Ive been staying in a dogshit guesthouse trying to spend as little money as possible while I wait to see if there are any cancellations and there are some really annoying French twats in the next room who make loads of noise and who I want to kill.
Also in the original plan I most certainly do not get infected with parasites. Well one parasite really. At least I hope there's only one. A filaform larvae of the non-human hookworm to be precise. It's a long wormy thing coiled up under the skin on one of my toes. Two things to be thankful for (though I'd rather be thankful for not having hookworm at all)- it's not moving about...and the infective larvae cannot complete it's normal life cycle in a human host (they prefer raccoons apparently), meaning it remains undeveloped but can persist under the skin causing cutaneous larva migrans. Basically it digs through your skin leaving the area itchy and inflamed. Now as you may have guessed I went to the doctor's and picked up some information and also some medication. It should be completely treatable (barring some horrendous House-style complications) and the costs should be reimbursed by my travel-insurance. I cant drink for the duration of the treatment and that will take me over the Thai New Year period so I shall have a dull time there. Not that I can afford to drink or eat or do anything much at the moment anyway, still it's better to be not drinking because you cant afford to than because you're on medication to treat larval parasites.

You know, I had a nice ending for Geoff all planned out. While Geoff was going to be a bit disappointed that no great truths had been revealed, nothing had been found out, no clues as to what he was to do with his life etc. had come his way while travelling he was still going to be sad the trip was coming to an end . There was going to be a bit where he looks at a wall in England and is sorry to see no Geckos on it (there are geckos on every wall in Asia just so that makes sense to anyone who hasn't been). But now, by the time I finally get the fuck out of fucking Thailand (or the toilet bowl of Southeast Asia as I am affectionately calling it at the moment) I'm going to be so happy about it the final frame of Geoff is likely to be him turning cartwheels in an English pub going "YEE-HA!!!!! I'm out of Thailand!!! WAAA-HOO!!! No more fucking geckos!!! YAAA-HOO!!! No more rice/noodles/beggars/tuk-tuks/tailors/open sewers etc!!! HIP-HIP-HOORAY!!!"

You get the general idea.




I don't like it here anymore.




I want to come home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ggars and tuk-tuks here in brighton.

But yeah, there aren't too many geckos around...

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Something weird happened and the first bit of the above comment is missing...
Should read: we have rice, noodles, beggars, etc.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home