Saturday, March 17, 2007

Malaysia here I come.

Yes I am now in Satun (which I keep pronouncing Satan) at the very Southern bit of Thailand...where the Muslims live. Will be crossing into Malaysia by ferry thus hopefully avoiding the Islamic fundamentalists busily shooting people in the head in the noble pursuit of religious unity. Satun is a one horse town and I am out of books and there is nowhere for me to get any new ones until I am in Malaysia and I don't have a T.V. in my room so I have an exciting evening of staring at the wall ahead of me.

Talking of books I was a little surprised when I was looking at the books I have read whilst on this trip to learn that I have only got through twenty five so far which is roughly five a month. Given the amount of time on my hands I thought that was a bit low.
I saw on Yahoo that Vernon God Little topped the poll of books that Britons had started but not finished. I too started it and did not finish but that was lying in Andrew's back-garden in Oxford waiting for everyone else to wake up and it was Gabriel's copy so I only got through a bit before I had to hand it over. Of the other ten books on the list I have started and finished five (though obviously I would rather not have started/finished The Alchemist) and not touched four.
By the way, just finished Last Orders by Graham Swift which is the best book I have read so far this trip and one of the best books I have read in a long time. Made me very nostalgic for English pubs and ale and wet weekends at Margate even though I've never been to Margate.

Do any species of animal have anything other than none or two or eight eyes? There are animals (sea-slugs, jellyfish etc.) that have no eyes and all mammals, birds, reptiles etc. have two and some spiders have eight but are there animals that have more than eight or less than eight but more than two?

Had a dream a few nights ago where I was charging across Stalingrad to try and liberate the city from the Nazis whilst simultaneously charging across Red Square during the Russian Revolution on my way to chuck the Muslims out of Jerusalem during the Crusades. Obviously my history was getting a little mixed up but I do know for sure that for some reason Johnny Depp was in charge of the whole shebang. What do you think that means?

Saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory recently. It was nonsensical and disjointed even by Tim Burton's admittedly high standards.

Well that's about it...see you in Malaysia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're more obsessed with Johnny Depp than I am!

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home