Sunday, April 15, 2007

I only popped out to get something to eat.


This is me after stepping out on to the Kao San Road during Songkran. I got the hell out of Bangkok the next day and am now in Ayuthaya and I will be getting the train to the Thai/Laos border tomorrow as I have decided to spend the end of my trip in Southern Laos. The soonest I could transfer my ticket to another flight was only going to be seven days before the 3rd and would have cost 222 pounds so I've decided to stay the course till the 3rd and use my ticket as is. Leaving photographic evidence to the contrary aside I am in a slightly more upbeat mood as I type this than I was during my last couple of posts. It feels good to be on the move again after stagnating in despair in Bangkok for a week, plus everything is cheaper outside of the city (provided you go north not south) and Laos is cheaper again. I didn't get to southern Laos when I was there before so it will be nice to check out the area and it will also be a laid back way to bring the trip to a close. There's apparently not much to do in the area I'm heading to (it's called the 1000 Islands and is a collection of, you guessed it, islands in the Mekong river right on the border with Cambodia) other than drink and read by the river. Course, I cant drink for eight days due to my little parasite (possible idea for a range of children's toys?) but by George I shall enjoy it when I can! In the meantime not drinking is seriously saving me money and I think for the first time in the whole trip I may have actually lost some weight! I should probably take some pictures of myself sans shirt as a souvenir.

Anyway, I'm off now. Nowhere in the 1000 Islands had electricity before 2006 and I think most of it is still unconnected so I wouldn't think I shall be posting for a while.
Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home